Saturday, January 3, 2009

For the kids




The last few months I have been in a state of depression. My kids are growing up way too fast. My son reminds me nearly everyday that next year he will be a teenager. The things they used to enjoy are no longer. My heart ached the day my daughter said she didn't like carebears anymore. When I sit and think of all the years that have gone by it seems too soon. The thought that is constant in my mind is that in 7 years they will be gone to college. My babies aren't babies anymore.
The week before christmas I decided to have a night out with the kids. We decided to take them to see the lights before christmas at the zoo. I was very excited because we had never seen them. That afternoon, I told the kids we were going somewhere special that night. They tried to guess where we were going, but never got it right. We arrived and Ross dropped us off at the entrance while he went and parked the car. We were meeting Patti and Eva and Val and Tom. At the entrance there was bubble snow falling. If you know me, you know I LOVE snow, so I was like a kid catching the snow as it fell until it happened.....






My son said, "mom why are we here? This is for kids."






For a moment all I could do was look at him and cry. In that instance I realized no matter how hard I tried, I was never going to get my wide eyed little boy back. I was moving into a new stage in their life. The days of playing in big boxes in the back yard were over. We walked over to the end of the entrance and talked and hugged until everyone had arrived. It was a beautiful moment.









Item #2 Spend two hours everyday with the kids. I may not be able to get back lost time, but I will not let them slip from my arms.

1 comment:

Poof said...

Excellent goal. They grow up so fast, it's a blessing and a curse.